Friday, January 02, 2009

Ringing in the New Year

It's Poetry Friday and, despite the lack of snow this year, this song has been in my head for a new year. I've been inspired by the goals of my friends and Justina's vision board and with me no longer in school, I've set some challenges for myself this year. I'm looking forward to it!

All shall be well again, I know
.

One of my favorite trips when we lived in England was when we went to visit a friend who was studying in Norwich. There, we went to a pub that dates to 1250 (really low doors and ceilings, but excellent fish!) and saw the cell where Julian of Norwich wrote Revelations of Divine Love. The church of St. Julian is overshadowed by the Norwich Cathedral, but there is something amazing about looking into the room where the first book written in English by a woman was penned. No matter what your religion, if you appreciate literature and books, it was a bit of a holy experience.

Anyway, here's the song. Lyrics and chords can be found in everyone's favorite folk song handbook Rise Up Singing


Julian of Norwich by Sydney Carter

Loud are the bells of Norwich
And the people come and go
Here by the tower of Julian
I tell them what I know

CHORUS:
Ring out, bells of Norwich and let the winter come and go
All shall be well again, I know.

Love, like the yellow daffodil
Is coming through the snow
Love, like the yellow daffodil
Is Lord of all I know

CHORUS

Ring for the yellow daffodil
The flower in the snow
Ring for the yellow daffodil
And tell them what I know

CHORUS

All shall be well, I’m telling you
Let the winter come and go
All shall be well again, I know.

Round up is at A Year of Reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my favorites today--makes me want to sing! Makes me want to go to England and see a pub dating from 1250!!

Kim said...

What beautiful words! Oh, how I would love to visit England someday.
*smiles*
Kim