Friday, January 30, 2009

Poetry Friday

Well, I was quite excited to see that A River of Words: The Story of William Carlos Williams won a Caldecott Honor on Monday.

His is poetry I had to read a lot of in school, and have returned to, time and again. This poem, "The Red Wheelbarrow" is one we snickered at as students (THIS IS POETRY?!) but has given me deeper and deeper meaning the more I read it and the older I get.


so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens.

Round up is over at Adventures in Daily Reading. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love William Carlos Williams! I studied him extensively in my creative writing program, though I'm having a hard time remembering much of what I learned.

My favorite poem by Mr. Williams?

This Is Just To Say

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the icebox

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

Jennie said...

That's actually my favorite of his as well.

Anonymous said...

I love A River of Words - so beautiful.

I particularly like this poem, which I analyzed once upon a time at my blog - only 16 words, 3 then 1, 3 then 1, following a fixed pattern, creating a clear image. So simple to read, so hard to write.

Anonymous said...

I would like to invite all to read my poetry:

http://DarbyDianaPoetry.com

I am new member of Jacketflap so please leave your comments on my page.