Thursday, January 15, 2009

A few types of Princesses

So, I'm about half way through reading Princess Diaries, Volume X: Forever Princess. Mia is STILL with JP? I mean, WTF? He's even ickier than I remember him. Also, why is Mia so spineless? I love this series, but girl needs to grow a pair. I'll talk more after I actually finish the book.

Today, we'll talk about some other princesses and fairy tales with two more books in the Once Upon a Time series...


Sunlight and Shadow Cameron Dokey

Mmmm. So this installment of the Once Upon a Time series gives a new face The Magic Flute. There are differences, of course, which is what gives this version new life and vitality. I cannot express how much I loved this book--I could not put it down.

Mina, the daughter of the King of the Day and Queen of the Night has been kidnapped by her father. Prophecy at her birth says that Mina's marriage would bring great changes to the powers of her parents, and so Sarastro has been grooming her husband for years.

Mina has no wish to be a pawn in her father's games, and so she runs from his house, to try and return to her mother.

Lots of great stuff here. I also really enjoyed the shifting points of view throughout the story to get so many different reactions to the events taking place. Dokey gives each character a unique voice and vision. This might just be my favorite in this series!

The Rose Bride by Nancy Holder

Rose's tale starts as a Cinderella tale, with an enchanted garden tied to her mother and an evil stepmother and stepsister. About half-way though shifts to "The White Bride and the Black Bride" as it becomes apparent that the evil steps are sorceresses. Plus, there's a war.

This one just didn't work for me. There is all sorts of random weird ties with Greek Mythology (who is a devotee of Zeus vs. Artemis plays a not insignificant role) even though it takes place in medieval France? That was never really explained and was just... weird. Also, in the author's note, Holder says she was inspired by the movie Ever After. It shows. A lot.

Also, the end was really rushed. Overall, like I said, it just didn't do it for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stick with Mia in Forever Princess -- I wasn't disappointed :)