Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Middle Grade Fun Series!

First off, this weekend I did a chapter-by-chapter analysis (with brief summary at top) of the 1949 and 1967 editions of Nancy Drew and The Clue of the Leaning Chimney over at Geek Buffet. Check it out!


Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls: New Girl Meg Cabot

There's nothing wrong with walking to school with your mom and dad on your first day. Except everything.

Allie's back! She's settling into her new house and her new school, but nothing, of course, goes to plan. The big problem is Rosemary, the bully, who wants to kill Allie. And then Lady Serena Archibald gets really sick and might have her kittens too soon and they might not live! AND THEN HOW WILL ALLIE GET A CAT?! And then Grandma comes. Grandma's good at presents, but she isn't very nice.

Hilarious. Allie is an excellent heroine with a strong voice and a strong sense of self. If you liked the first, you'll like this one. I'm very much looking forward to Best Friends And Drama Queens, which comes out in March. The plot sounds a lot like something Cabot describes happening to her in her contribution to Everything I Needed to Know About Being a Girl I Learned from Judy Blume and how Blubber was really helpful. I hope see gives Judy Blume a shout-out in the book!

Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw Jeff Kinney

Greg's back! Huzzah! I managed to snag a copy of lunch, but it's been hard--the holds list on this is miles long, and it's ALL kids. Ever since this came out, I've had to deal with the crushed faces of children when I tell them where they are on the list.

Anyway, Greg's afraid his dad will send him (not Roderick, HIM) to Military School.

If you like Wimpy Kid, this books won't disappoint, I mean...

There was this book Dad used to read to me every night called 'The Giving Tree.' It was a really good book, but the back of it had a pictures of the author, this guy named Shel Silverstein.

But Shel Silverstein looks more like a burglar or a pirate than a guy who should be writing books for kids. Dad must have known that picture kind of freaked me out, because on night after I got out of bed, Dad said, 'IF YOU GET OUT OF BED AGAINST TONIGHT, YOU'LL PROBABLY RUN INTO SHEL SILVERSTEIN IN THE HALLWAY.'

That really did the trick. Ever since then, I STILL don't get out of bed at night, even if I really need to use the bathroom.


How can you NOT love it?!

No comments: