Thursday, June 25, 2009

It's about power, not love

The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks E. Lockhart

A meditation on power, set in an elite boarding school, but not always in the way you'd think. There's Frankie, sick of being Bunny Rabbit, ready to step out of her sister's shadow. She knows all about the Order of the Basset Hounds but her boyfriend would rather keep her in the dark.

Matthew and Alpha are the top dogs in the school (in more sense than one), engaged in a subtle power struggle that Frankie can't stand.

She's going to take over.

I really liked this. I don't have much to say that hasn't been said already. I will say that it didn't grab me as much as I thought it would, but I think that's because I came late the party--it had been built up so much that there is no way it would be able to live up. I especially loved the end--I found that to be the most real and true part of the book.

UPDATE I totally forgot that Kim had asked me a question about this for Weekly Geeks:

I just recently read Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Bank. So, my question is whether or not the book ended the way you expected it to? That'll be hard without spoiling the ending, I suppose, but maybe you can just talk about it in code or something for everyone who has read the book.

Expected? Or Wanted? Not what I expected, but what I wanted. I thought it was real and in line with the rest of the book. I'm not a huge fan of super-tidy endings.

No comments: