Sunday, June 07, 2009

Hour 48

Hours Read: 19.5
Books Read: 8 whole books, 1/2 of two other books, so 9.
Pages Read: 2055

Well, I didn't get in 20 hours, but that's ok! I had fun. I'm currently halfway through Geek Charming by Robin Palmer. I'm at my parents until Tuesday, and given that all three of us have spent the after noon curled up in chairs, drinking coffee and reading, I'll get a lot more done in the next few days! Also, I reviewed 12 books (including the the two below) so that's good. As part of the Summer Reading Blitz, I'm trying to read 30 books in June. As of Friday night, I had only read 2, so I was a little behind schedule, but now I've read 11, so I'm a little ahead of schedule. Yay!

Anyway, I'm now seeing how many people cross the finish line over at MotherReader, as I said I'd donate $1 to Bridget Zinn for everyone who finished the challenge. Plus, another $1 for everyone who read at least 20 hours, but I'll have to wait a few days for that!

Anyway, the last full book I finished today was Masquerade, which is the second Blue Bloods novel, but I should review the first Blue Bloods novel first, right? Right.

Blue Bloods Melissa de la Cruz

So, I knew this was Gossip Girl + Vampires. What I didn't know is that is was really good.

Blue Bloods is well written-- I'm guessing it has a super-high lexile score and works in a lot of different things-- it's not just about vampires, but also about the founding of Plymouth Colony, what really happened at Roanoke, and the Illuminati. And a murder mystery (something can actually kill vampires? Really?) Plus the usual rich mean kid high school drama of love and backstrabbing, fabulous clothes and awesome parties.

It sucked me in and held me. If you've at all toyed with reading this series, toy no more and pick it up. A very pleasant surprise.

Masquerade Melissa de la Cruz

So, this whole plot of who-can-kill vampires is continuing and getting worse. There's a new Blue Blood in town, and he's into all sorts of mischief that doesn't make things look good for him, or for Mimi Force. Jack continues to be drawn to Schuyler, as it turns out he was to her mom. Schuyler's half-blood status is mucking about with her transformation. Also, a lot more of the Angel lore that ties into the history of vampires, as according to de la Cruz.

If you liked the first, you'll like the second. The third is out (but even though it's been out since October, there's a still a waiting list at the library! The fourth then comes out this October...)

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love your blog title and design. :-) Congrats on finishing the challenge!

MotherReader said...

For someone who couldn't do all that much, you certainly did a lot. Fantastic!

Jen Robinson said...

What Pam said. Pretty impressive tally for someone with other things going on. And I'm proud to report that I'll be costing you $2.

Ms. Yingling said...

I liked Blue Bloods, too. It was more clever than certain other, more popular vampire books. Twenty hours does not leave much time for sleep, etc., so you did a great job!

MotherReader said...

I'm giving you the extra .5 like one bestows an honorary degree. There, done.

Also, looking at 110 finishers and 60 people who read over 20 hours, so before I wrote about it, I wanted to make sure that you wanted to donate that much. I would never have expected those kind of numbers, so if you want to set a more modest amount, that's fine.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Hey that was a great idea to donate based on how many people crossed the finish line. Good for you! And your reading hours is very impressive too. Great job!

jone said...

Thank you for contributing to the Bridget Zinn Fund. Really thoughtful and generous!