Saturday, June 06, 2009

Hour 18

Hours read 10.25
Books read 4.5
Pages read 1092


Jake, Reinvented Gordon Korman

A most fantastic retelling of The Great Gatsby. Jake Garrett is a former math nerd transferred to a new school and has completely reinvented himself as the coolest guy around who throws the best parties. But it's all to win the heart of the star quarterback's girlfriend. Didi may enjoy making out with Jake, but Rick knows she'll never dump Todd for him.

This is the best kind of retelling. The source material completely fades into the background while still providing the structure of the story. Gatsby fans will enjoy this one, as will readers who have no idea about the green lantern at the end of the pier.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

4 comments:

GreenBeanTeenQueen said...

I really enjoy Gordon Korman's books and The Great Gatsby was one of my favorite high school reads. Good luck with the rest of your challenge!

Carol H Rasco said...

Enjoying your posts, hope you continue to have fun with the Challenge. It is my first Challenge of any type; I am so glad I decided to participate. I think I needed an official reason to say "I MUST read!"

Bibliovore said...

Oh, I loved this book! I think it started my obsession with classic retellings.

Ms. Yingling said...

Hard to go wrong with Korman. If you can, track down some of his 80s titles to see how he's changed! Good luck with the challenge.