Friday, June 05, 2009

Hour 3.5

Hours Read: 3.5
Books Read: 1.5
Pages Read: 399

Great Call of China Cynthea Liu

Frequent readers know how much I love the SASS series. I was so happy when a new one came out, but I saved it for this weekend, because I read 3 SASS novels during my first 48 hour Challenge and that's when I really fell in love with the series.

OMG. A novel that uses standard Pinyin?! Be still my geeky heart. This means I understood things much better than Cece did, because I only had to translate Pinyin to Mandarin to English, but wacky-made-up-by-the-author-system to Mandarin to English. AND! Cece's fav Chinese food? Muslim! MINE TOO. (Seriously, they need to start exporting that to the US. I could eat dingding mian every freakin' day. When I lived in Nanjing, I practicly did!) Also, I love the way she comes up with stories to remember her characters. (Although da, meaning big is NOT an exploding star. It's a man with his arms stretched wide! If you think of it as a man, you can add on to the story for other characters. Also, what's with always taking a soft sleeper train?! Way too expensive. Hard sleeper's where it's at. (Says the girl who gets street cred for once attempting to travel for 16 hours with a Standing Room ticket. Luckily, around hour 5, which was 4 am, a hard sleeper bed opened up and the ticket collecter took pity on me and offered me the upgrade.)

Anyway, and excellent addition to the series. I've been wanting them to do one on China since forever. This one does it justice.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I read this one just before this challenge started! And, I have to thank you for introducing me to the S.A.S.S. series. I rather enjoy them.