Monday, March 16, 2009

Weekly Geeks 2009-10: OH! MY EYES! Edition


This week's Weekly Geeks asks us:

Worst movie adaptations: The recent release of Watchmen based on the graphic novel by Alan Moore got me thinking about what I thought were the worst movie adaptations of books. What book or books did a director or directors completely ruin in the adaptation(s) that you wish you could "unsee," and why in your opinion, what made it or them so bad in contrast to the book or books?

This is such an easy one for me to answer, but I think film buffs might hit me.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

I know it won every Academy Award Ever (including Best Adapted Screenplay). And you know what? It might be a great film, but it is an absolutely HORRIBLE adaptation of the book. And I love that book.

My entire junior year English class agrees with me. We all read the book, and then we got to see the film so our brains could recover after the AP exams. Afterwards we were all like "wait, WHAT WAS THAT?!"

To be fair, it's hard to create a movie based the narration from a character who never talks and keeps going to shock therapy, but... still. Everything that made the book totally wonderful didn't really exist in the movie. They got the plot right but they forgot the magic.

Compared to the book that movie absolutely SUCKS.

--I would like to point out that I haven't read the book or seen the movie since junior year. That was 11 years ago. Plus, my brain was recovering from the AP exams. Some finer points might be fuzzy.

1 comment:

Sara said...

I'll have to ask my son what he thinks. He read the book and is watching the movie in class now. He was poking fun at me yesterday for pressing his antibiotic meds on him. :)