Thursday, March 19, 2009

Productive! PRODUCTIVE!

Sometimes, on a good day, I sing the "Productive" song, to celebrate my productivity. The productive song is to the tune of "Tradition" from Fiddler on the Roof, except you sing "Productive! PRODUCTIVE!" instead of "Tradition! TRADITION!" Today was productive in odd ways. I still have a mountain of things to do, but I did some SCARY things that paid off, so I feel good.

Also, a bleg-- a friend of mine wants to tap into/connect with the kidlit scene in Chicago. I passed on a few names that I already knew, but if you're in Chicago, let me know so I can play matchmaker.

And now, a review.


Nation Terry Pratchett

Lately, I've been reading a lot of books because I have to for work. Upcoming book discussions come with reading lists! Also, I'm preparing my presentation on Trends in YA lit for May's Maryland Library Association conference. In general, this is a good thing, I've had to read a lot of books that I otherwise wouldn't have and, in general, have really enjoyed them.

One such book is Nation, which I just finished at lunch today. It absolutely BLEW me away. I hadn't read any Prachett before this, and I'll have to look for more of his stuff.

Mau is returning home, to Nation, when the tidal wave hits. Daphne is on her way to where her father is governor on the other side of the world. Mau finally arrives to see that the wave wiped out his entire village and left a shipwrecked beast, the only survivor being the ghost-girl.

Together they survive. Mau questions the Gods who took away everything--how can Gods exisit if they make such things happen? He rages. Daphne, confined to a woman's place in upper class repressive society finds herself suddenly useful and smart and it's liberating.

The smoke from their fire draws in other survivors of the wave from other islands and a new community forms.

Initially heartbreaking, Nation ends up being laugh-out-loud funny. It's not often you have completely enjoyable works on the nature of culture and religion and international relations.

It completely deserves the Printz honor that it won and I highly recommend it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

You hadn't read any Pratchett before?! I can hook you up. Let me know if you need another box of books.