Saturday, November 03, 2007

a whole new way of showing, not telling

I'm doing NaNoWriMo. Are you? Today's song is very important in my story (about the inherit drama of high school choir.) You Are the New Day. I'm trying something new wand this one goes to Amazon, not Napster...

Anyway, here are some more graphic novels for you to look at.

So, earlier this year, I was quite taken with Mark Crilley's Miki Falls: Spring.


I was less taken with Miki Falls: Summer. Miki and Hiro are doing the brand-new couple thing, which has it's own issues. Then Miki learns that Hiro is about to take the love out of a relationship involving her best friend, so of course, she tries to stop it and makes a HUG MESS out of things. And then there's Reika, Hiro's ghost from the past who is making it very clear to Miki that Hiro is hers.

I was disappointed, but it turns out it was the perfect bridge novel to...


Miki Falls: Autumn (which is the best so far). Reika is going to tell the elders about Miki and Hiro. Once the elders know, they will do everything to keep them apart--forever. So, they run away. Once they're hiding out in the mountains, Miki discovers the awful truth that Hiro's hold spirit, Anra, sees Miki as a Neverfind-- someone who will never be able to hold on to true love. Should she go back to her safe life at home? Or should she stay and enjoy love while she has it?

Crilley has an interesting frame style. He uses a lot of trapezoids that often make the action look like it's taking place in a shattered mirror. He also will sometimes put several actions into one frame. I first really noticed this with Autumn, where it really ties in well with the tenseness of the situation and Miki's emotional state at the time. I love it.

So, it's just a few more months until Winter. I can't wait.


Also, I just read Death Note, Volume 7: Zero by Tsugumi Ohba.

Nothing startling or crazy about this one. If you liked the other previous 6, you'll like this.

We get a lot of the back story about what Light was thinking when he gave up his death note and volunteered for custody. Then, using Misa's eye power, he does what he always meant to do.

With that done, things don't get easier for Light--they get harder as new people come onto the scene. New people, who are taking hostages in exchange for information he's unwilling to give. Still looking forward to Book 8!

4 comments:

Erin said...

I'm doing NaNoWriMo too!
At the readergirlz forum - groups.myspace.com/readergirlz there's going to be weekly NaNoWriMo participant live chats! Here's the deets:
Nov 9, 16, 23 and 30th at 5PM Pacific/8PM Eastern. I hope to see you there! Feel free to let others know as well. :)

avenuez said...

I sincerely admire your writing ambition. How in the world do you have time to blog?

avenuez said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennie said...

Ack! Erin! I'm either at work or in class those days and times! :( Good luck to you guys though!

Avenuez-- I'm not sure I really have the time to blog, I just have excellent procrastination skills. ;)