Friday, November 09, 2007

Because I'm Sure you Wanted to Know...

Me: Holy Cow! Molly's interviewing me for her blog!
Dan: Um, shouldn't you be interviewing her?
Me: Probably, but I'm saving that for when her book comes out and she's all famous and everyone wants a piece of her. Because they will. And then I can be all "Hey Molly! You interviewed me! My turn!"

So, here's my interview over at Bittersweet.

And, now, onto the Poetry Friday portion of our event.

"Luke, you will find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

-Obi wan Kenobi

When I lived in Manchester, I spent Guy Fawkes day in the Darwin Forest, drinking cider by a large bonfire and pretending I knew the words the various songs being sung around me. Living in the North, Guy Fawkes day was a day to celebrate "The last good man sent to Parliament." Whereas, traditionally, especially in the South, it is a day to celebrate catching a Catholic traitor who tried to blow up Parliament.

Harpers had an interesting article on Guy Fawkes and his modern role in Monday's Harpers.

Literary connections: I'm assuming that Fawkes the Phoenix in Harry Potter is named after Guy Fawkes. Also, the day play a big role in V for Vendetta. (Do I lose all street cred when I mention I haven't read this, but only seen the movie? The movie was pretty awesome!)

So, here I give you:

Remember, remember the fifth of November,
The gunpowder, treason and plot,
I know of no reason
Why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot
Guy Fawkes, Guy Fawkes, ’twas his intent
To blow up the King and Parliament.
Three score barrels of powder below,
Poor old England to overthrow;
By God’s providence he was catch’d
With a dark lantern and burning match.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, make the bells ring.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the King!
Hip hip hoorah!

A penny loaf to feed the Pope.
A farthing o’ cheese to choke him.
A pint of beer to rinse it down.
A faggot of sticks to burn him.
Burn him in a tub of tar.
Burn him like a blazing star.
Burn his body from his head.
Then we’ll say ol’ Pope is dead.
Hip hip hoorah!
Hip hip hoorah hoorah!

6 comments:

maggie moran said...

Kewl interview! :)

Anonymous said...

I want to write something as catchy as "Remember, remember, the fifth of December"

Although maybe without burning anyone's head off.

tanita✿davis said...

The first week we moved here, I was in a bookstore and saw the music to a play that had those words to the title song... it was for kids, and I was so amused.

Re-reading the history, I am less amused, because it apparently wasn't proved that Guy Fawkes was anything but a scapegoat, but people at least seem to only light fireworks and not burn anyone in effigy. And to keep it free from prejudice, we were told to call it 'Fireworks Night' instead of Guy Fawkes Night.

("here" is Scotland)

Susan said...

i'll make a YA librarian out of you yet, just wait and see! :P
for the record, i was a first soprano in h.s. chorus too. go divas!

Jennie said...

Tadmack-- I know that all official sources (like the news) called it Fireworks night, but everyone I talked to called it Guy Fawkes night. When I asked about it, all my friends (Northerners, all of them) told me "Guy Fawkes tried to blow up Parliament. It was awesome!"

My better half, the British historian, told me more of the story...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.