Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Darling is darling...

The last two days have been an emotional roller-coaster some really awesome things followed by some completely awful ones. But, I did read a good book!

Fourth Comings: A Novel Megan McCafferty

In the fourth book that started with Sloppy Firsts, Marcus has given Jessica a notebook to write in, so he can read her thoughts. Then, he asks her to marry him. (Ok, when I read this in the plot descriptions I was all SPOILER! MEAN! but seriously, it happens on page 28.) Given that she was trying to dump Marcus when he asked, Jessica's first response is to say no. She promises to think about it for one week.

Over the course of two notebooks and one week, Jessica thinks. She thinks while babysitting her niece for too much money (but the only way she can afford to live) she thinks while living in a room called Cupcake with Hope. She thinks while attending high society events with Cinthia. She thinks while dealing with Manda and Bridget and Sara and Scotty. She thinks while trying to find a job.

Overall she thinks while making the same wry, hilarious observations about life, New York, and being in your early twenties at the moment.

If you like these books because you like the interplay between Marcus and Jessica, or because you like Bridget and Sara, then you'll be disappointed--none of these characters makes a big appearance. If you like these books because you think Jessica's sarcasm and skewered wit are pitch-perfect (like I do) then you're sure to love it. I think it's my favorite of the series...

2 comments:

Becky said...

Thanks for the review. I'm a big Marcus fan, so I think I'll pass, since the third book where he's largely absent tended to annoy me. But I'm glad you enjoyed this one.

Jennie said...

Yeah, Marcus has an even smaller part here than he did in Charmed Thirds, but she thinks and talks about him more. I've always liked Marcus as a foil for Jessica, but my main love for these books is Jessica's razor sharp, right on snark-fest.