Monday, November 19, 2007

What's the Buzz? (Tell me what's a-happenin')

So, I should be reviewing something today, but, frankly, my brain hurts.

But, here's my blog's reading level (link via Bookshelves of Doom)

cash advance

So, if you go to the YALSA site, you can see how the long lists currently stand for their various lists. I've gone through and see which titles appear on multiple lists, so we can figure out what we're supposed to reading! (Pictures come from books I'm already read or am about to read, like in the top 5 of my "to read" pile)

So, overlap from the Best Books for Young Adults and Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers is:


Twisted Laurie Halse Anderson
Shark Girl Kelly Bingham
Almost Home Jessica Blank
The Nature of Jade Deb Caletti
Beige Cecil Castellucci
Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Deadline Chris Crutcher
This Is What I Did: Ann Dee Ellis
Blood Brothers S. A. Harazin
Split Screen: Attack of the Soul-Sucking Brain Zombies / Bride of the Soul-Sucking Brain Zombies by Brett Hartinger
Glass Ellen Hopkins
Chasing Tail Lights Patrick Jones
Strays Ron Koertge
Guyaholic Carolyn Mackler
What They Found: Love on 145th Street Walter Dean Myers
The Penalty Mal Peet
Harmless Dana Reinhardt
What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know Sonya Sones
Freak Show James St. James
7 Days at the Hot Corner Terry Trueman
Such a Pretty Girl Laura Wiess
Story of a Girl Sara Zarr


Overlap between Best Books for Young Adults and Great Graphic Novels:

The Wall: Growing Up Behind the Iron Curtain Peter Sis
Houdini: The Handcuff King Jason Lutes and Nick Bertozzi
Malcolm X: A Graphic Biography Andrew Helfer and Randy DuBurke
Re-Gifters Mike Carey, Sonny Liew, and Marc Hempel
Notes for a War Story Gipi
Mouse Guard Volume 1: Fall 1152 David Peterson
Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet William Shakespeare, Richard Appignanesi, and Sonia Leong
Arrival Shaun Tan


Overlap with Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers and Great Graphic Novels:
Inside Out: Portrait of an Eating Disorder Natalie Shivack
Avalon High: CoronationMeg Cabot and Jinky Coronado
Vampire Knight Matsuri Hino
Dead High Yearbook Ivan Velez

Have you read any of these? Tell me what you think!

3 comments:

Julie said...

OK, I have some serious catch-up reading to do! Thanks for pulling this list together.

Patrick Jones said...

Hey, thanks for doing this. I normally publish on YALSA (and then thru my Novelist column) a list of the books which end up on both lists. I also did a retro list for like the 15 years, so glad to see others plugging what I always feel are the best of the best: accessibility plus literary quality.
pj

Jennie said...

Patrick--

I've used your lists a lot in past years for the books that overlap on the two lists. I thought I'd put one together a little early to give us a head start on what to read before things get announced in January.

Thanks for stopping by!