Wednesday, October 31, 2007

More Books for the Beast

Because it's finally nice and cold and I'm actually wearing a sweater today, today's song is Ten Degrees and Getting Colder performed by Nanci Griffith.


A Great and Terrible Beauty Libba Bray

After the murder of her mother, Gemma Doyle is shipped from India to a stuffy finishing school in England. There she deals with the regular issues of popularity and clique-dom, as well ominious visions that have a bad habit of coming true. All she knows is that Circe is coming, but what that means besides growing shadows, she can't say.

Part historic fiction, part supernatural thriller, Bray attempts to explore the gilded cages Victorian women were forced to live in. In doing so, she's created a cast of thoroughly modern characters who never feel guilty for going against society's, and their mothers', expectations of them. It works much better on a supernatural-thriller level than the historical fiction level. The modernity of the characters in action and attitude didn't sit right.

I'm looking forward to reading Rebel Angels.

Raven's Gate (The Gatekeepers) Anthony Horowitz

Matt was given one chance to stay out of jail. He can go live in a remote village with a creepy, old lady, or go to jail. Once there, things are horribly worng. Anyone who tries to help him dies. When he tries to escape, all roads lead back to the same intersection...

I'll have to admit I haven't read it since I was in 4th grade, but it vaguely reminded me of The Dark Is Rising Sequence, but I can't put my finger on why.

Overall, a little underwhelming-- I expected more from Horowitz.

1 comment:

Susan said...

i liked terrible beauty too. by the time rebel angels came out i forgot too much of the first and couldn't follow along so gave up!