Friday, October 05, 2007

Of Plums and Kitchens

Yesterday was staff in-service day at work. The closing speaker was E. Ethelbert Miller, editor of Poet Lore. He read a fantastic poem by Tim Barnes, "Spoons, an Appreciation" but I can't find a copy of it to share with you.

Lately, I have been thinking a lot about the poetry and beauty of the everyday. So, I share this one with you today.

"This is Just to Say"

I have eaten
the plums
that were in
the ice box

and which
you were probably
saving
for breakfast

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so cold

--William Carlos Williams

Emily Beeson at whimsy has the round up!

2 comments:

tanita✿davis said...

I do love this one - it was first read to me in the deep, laconic tones of my freshman poetry professor, and I always will forever hear him reading it.

Anonymous said...

i'm going to narrate this poem in a scene for my film as a close-up of many pregnant tummies are filmed one after the other for the duration of the poem.

the more i concentrate on the layers upon layers of beauty around me, the more wealthy i feel.