Friday, June 29, 2007

Poetry Friday

It's Poetry Friday!

It's also homework day. Ergh. You know my challenge to read everything I had borrowed and I wasn't allowed to check anything else out? Not going so good. I mean, I've been better, but not great.


Anyway, here's TWO poems (I couldn't decide):

If along the highroad
I caught hold of your sleeve,
Do not hate me;
Old ways take time to overcome.

If along the highroad
I caught hold of your hand,
Do not be angry with me;
Friendship takes time to overcome.

From The Book of Songs: The Ancient Chinese Classic of Poetry, translated by Arthur Waley

Here's another, from the same collection:

By the willows of the Eastern Gate,
Whose leaves are so thick,
At dusk we were to meet;
And now the morning star is bright.

By the willows of the Eastern Gate,
Whose leaves are so close,
At dusk we were to meet;
And now the morning star is pale.

The Book of Songs, also called The Classic of Poetry is one of the 5 Confucian classics (it's believed he edited this classic, not write it). I prefer the Ezra Pound Translation, which isn't the most accurate, but retains a lot of the structure and poetry of the original. The Waley translation is acurate, but a can be a bit dry.

Shaken and Stirred has the roundup!

No comments: