Saturday, January 09, 2010

And Even More Challenges

As part of my Bloggiesta-ing, I've been catching up on my Google Reader, and, as such, have found even MORE challenges to join. Yay, challenges! So here's the latest bunch:

Classical Bookworm's Mexico Challenge. Read 3 books of Mexican literature, history, or art by the end of the year. Part of the reason I'm excited is I'm going to make my sister tell me which books to read. She's a high school Spanish teacher who's undergrad work focused on Latin American politics and culture, with an emphasis on Mexico (which is where she did her study abroad.) Also, my sister is just all-around awesome with great taste in books (she turned me onto The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole, Aged 13 3/4 and Tales of the City, off the top of my head.)

In the Shadow of Mt. TBR is hosting a Welsh Reading Challenge. I'm signing up for the easiest level, Efydd bathodyn, which has me reading 1-3 Wales-related books this year. I must think about my list, beyond Jasper Fforde's new one, Shades of Grey.

The 2010 Pub Challenge. So, read 10 books that are/will be published for the first time in the US (or wherever you live) in 2010. The catch for me? They have to be adult books, at least half fiction... that makes it a little more difficult. But it's a challenge, right? Right.

Booklover Book Review's Aussie Author Challenge. I'm signing up for the tourist level, so I have to read and review 3 books by 3 different Australian authors.

Book Chick City's Typically British Reading Challenge. I'm signing up for the "cream crackered" level, which has me reading 8 British novels in 2010. Except I'm going to define it down a bit to English, because of the Welsh Reading Challenge.

The 2010 Global Reading Challenge. I'm signing up for the Medium Level, so I need to read 12 books, once from each continent (not including Antarctica.)

Graphic Novel Challenge. I'm signing up for the Expert Level, so I have to read 10 graphic novels by the end of the year.



9 comments:

Lori Calabrese said...

Wowsa! Thanks for the heads up on some of these challenges--I hadn't heard about some of them.

I don't know how anyone can ever complain that they're bored!

Have a great night!

Anonymous said...

Hello from a fellow Bloggiesta and Comment Challenge 2010 participant. I admire your stamina - I don't think there's anyway I could handle so many challenges at once (But I'm kind of wishing that 2010 Pub Challenge was actually a challenge to visit as many pubs as possible - I think I could handle that one)!

Unknown said...

Hi Jennie, welcome to the Typically British challenge! Hope you have fun and enjoy all your challenges - good luck! :)

Booklover Book Reviews said...

Thanks for joining me in the Aussie Author Challenge Jennie! Look forward to sharing reviews...

Abby said...

So many challenges! I tried signing up for challenges when I first started my blog, but found myself unable to finish them. Maybe it's time to try it again, though... Hmmm...

Sean said...

Well, if Abigail doesn't come through with any Carlos Fuentes titles for your Mexico challenge, I humbly recommend "The Death of Artemio Cruz."

Hannah said...

These all sound like great challenges, and what a collection to do all in the same year!

Re: the graphic novel challenge. If you haven't already read them, I highly recommend Shannon Hale's Rapunzel's Revenge and her newest, Calamity Jack.

Reached you via Mother Reader from the Comment Challenge.

Anonymous said...

Bloggiesta was so much fun, wasn't it? I got tons done, and a new to-do list even longer than when I started of all the things I saw other people do and a few of the mini-challenges I didn't get around to doing.

Excited to have another Welsh Reading Challenge participant :-) Welcome! I made a dedicated blog for it, and as soon as it's ready, I'll let you know.

Jennie said...

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Abby-- I don't finish about half of the challenges I start, but I almost always read at least 1 book that I wouldn't have otherwise picked up, so it's a different kind of winning. :)