Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Challenge Update...

Now comes the monthly post where I list all the reading challenges I'm participating in and how I'm doing...

TBR challenge, where I make a list of 12 books (and 12 backup) and read at least 12 by the end of the year. I've done 3:

Octavian Nothing II, Kingdom on the Waves
Frog Princess
High Fidelity

For the 1% challenge, I need to read 13 books by March 31. I've done 1:

The Wind Up Bird Chronicle

For the Buy Books Challenge, I need to buy and read 12 books by the end of the year.

I've purchased 34, read 11, and reviewed 7!

Turning Pages
Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Forever Princess
Frog Princess
Gold
Dead is So Last Year
Don't Judge a Girl by her Cover
Living Dead Girl
Diamond Secret
Harry Potter Should Have Died
Fables: Dark Ages

Also, I purchased a copy of Mao's Last Revolution but I read and reviewed that last year, so does it count? Does it not? I'm going to say no, just because I've purchased so many other things...

For the Chunkster Challenge, I have to read 6 adult books of 450+ pages by November 15, 2009. I've done 1.1

The Wind-up Bird Chronicle

That .1 is Atlas Shrugged which is something you'll hear more about soon. It's a thing.

There's the Fill in the Gaps challenge, where I came up with a list of 100 books and commit to finishing 75 of them within 5 years. 4.5 years in, I've done 5.1!

Speak
Julie of the Wolves
Whale Talk
We Have Always Lived in the Castle
The Dark is Rising

Once again, that .1 is Atlas Shrugged.

And then there's my own Guardian Challenge, which has me reading 10 books by February 1.

Nada. I kinda suck.

There's also my goal to read at least 50 of the books I owned but hadn't read as of January 1 by next January 1. I've done 15.1

Octavian Nothing II
Crazy Lady
Frog Princess
A Girl, A Boy, and a Monster Cat
A Girl, A Boy, and Three Robbers
Glass Castle
High Fidelity
North of Beautiful
Nothing But the Truth (and a few white lies
Rapunzel's Revenge
Revolution is Not a Dinner Party
Rouge of the North
Story of Sushi
We Have Always Lived in the Castle
Whale Talk

Once again, .1 is Atlas Shrugged.

Then there is me trying to finish Anita Silvey's 100 Best Books for Children, of which I had 26 left. I've read 3!

Millions of Cats
Julie of the Wolves
The Dark is Rising

Now, since last month, I've joined the

Japanese Literature Challenge
so I have to read one book of Japanese literature by January 30.

Nothing yet.

The Random Reading Challenge has me taking my TBR pile (or a segment thereof) assigning a number to each book, and then using a random number generator to pick my next book. I have to read 12 this way by July 31. I've read 2! Both were chosen from a list that had all by TBR books that were ON HAND (so books that I own, review copies, and books that were currently checked out from the library.)

A Girl, a Boy, and Three Robbers
Rouge of the North

And, last but not least, there is my own China Challenge. I'm going to read 12 books and do 3 China-related activities between now and September 1, 2010.

So far, nothing, but the challenge has only been going for 2 days!

2 comments:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I've never read The Dark is Rising series. Someone just a few days ago was talking about how good it is. I need to systematically read through the books I own I haven't read.

Your challenges are impressive!
I've heard Atlas Shrugged can lend itself to being a .1 kind of book.

Anonymous said...

Oh My, you've got me a tiny bit worried that you are NOT going to make it all?! :-o

You're very brave to start your China Challenge on top of that! LOL

I've got 4 challenges:
Japanese Literature (just finished my book on Friday and I'm working on the review which will probably come up in the next few days), Classics (still need to read 5 of 6 but just picked up another one, being To Kill a Mockingbird), What's in a Name (all 6 read but still 3 left to review) and my personal 2008-2009 challenge: 7 of 12 read and reading 'To Kill..' from the list right now.

No, I couldn't handle another challenge LOL. Good luck with yours!