Sunday, September 27, 2009

Before the End of the Year

Rosh Hashanah was last weekend and Yom Kippur starts tonight. School started (but not for me! Huzzah!) at the beginning of the month. With the beginning of this new year, I start thinking about what my goals are and what I want to do in the next year. I won't finalize them until the January, when the calendar year begins anew, but I start thinking in broad plans now.

And in this gap between the two New Years, I also start thinking about what I need to do to finish up last year's goals...

So, in that vein, I've decided to sign up for 2 more reading challenges. The first is S. Krishna's Clear Off Your Shelves Challenge. I'm aiming to read 10% of my unread books between now and November 30. That's 38 books.

The next is Callapidder Days's Fall into Reading Challenge. This one involves a list. I need to make a list of the books I want to read between now and December 20. The following list, while long, is by no means complete. I have a lot of required reading on the horizon with titles that haven't been announced yet. The titles here are

1. Books I currently have checked out from the library
2. Books I am currently reading (this might be cheating. I hope not.)
3. Books from other challenges that I told myself I'd read by the end of the year.
4. Other random things.


Al Capone Shines my Shoes
All the Broken Pieces
The Kind of Friends We Used to Be
Peace, Locomotion
Shadowland
Wintersmith
City of Bones
Claudette Colvin: twice toward justice
The Eternal Smile
Manga Shakespeare: Romeo and Juliet
Keena Ford and the Field Trip Mix-Up
Marcelo in the Real World
Piper Reed Gets a Job
The Princess Plot
Allie Finkle's Rules for Girls: Stage Fright
Senator Joe McCarthy
Graceling
Street Love
Chop Suey
Confetti Girl
Evolution of Calpurnia Tate
How to be Popular
Life as We Knew it
Locomotion
Lucy Long Ago
39 Clues: Maze of Bones
Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg
Queen of Babble
Nature of Jade
Queen of Babble in the Big City
Queen of Babble Gets Hitched
Ready or Not
The Roar
Written in Bone
Atlas Shrugged
Life and Death are Wearing me Out
The Host
Book of Lost Things
Life and Death in Shanghai
Asleep
Hardboiled and Hardluck
Ballet Shoes
Cold Comfort Farm
Brideshead Revisited
Midnight Pearls
Adoration of Jenna Fox
Anatomy of a Boyfriend
Aurelie
Ballet Family
Ballet Family Again
Cathy's Key
A Certain Chemistry
Cybele's Secret
Everyday Life
Explosions
Fire in the Blood
General Winston's Daughter
Girl From Golden Horn
Babe
Betsy-Tacy
Snow
Clockwork Orange
Possession
Oliver Twist
The Sound and the Fury
Brave New World
1 Judge Dee Mystery
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Color Purple
Mr. Grumpy's Outing
Swamp Angel
John Henry
Snowflake Bentley
Tuesday
Seven Blind Mice
Morning Girl
Stone Fox
Misty of Chincoteague
Grandfather's Journey
The Incredible Journey
Humbug Mountain
The People Could Fly
Rabbit Hill
The Great Fire
Rascal
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Cricket in Times Square
Behind the Attic Wall
Out of the Dust
Johnny Tremain


I've also been putting some more work into The Reading Challenge Clearinghouse. There's now a twitter feed, and you can become a fan on Facebook, so I hope you'll fan us and follow us and get your challenge on...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my, that's a HUGE list! More than I am able to read in a year LOL.

Anyway, I recently finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird. A review is pending but I can already say that I liked it. I read it because it is part of my personal 2008-2009 challenge; and to put some pressure on myself I've also enrolled the Classics Challenge with this book.

Good luck with reaching your 2009 goals!

Nise' said...

Wow you have a great selection of books for your fall reading enjoyment.

S. Krishna said...

Good luck with the challenge, and thanks for joining!

Alison (Alison's Book Marks) said...

That is some list! You have some amazing books on there -- To Kill a Mockingbird (one of my all-time favorites), Atlas Shrugged (it's a monster, but VERY timely!), as well as some really fun ones like 39 Clues and The Host. Great list.

Happy Reading!

Phoebe said...

May I say I hope you get to The Cricket in Times Square before the end of the year? I just finished reading it (as part of my "slog through the giant ebay book-box prior to turning my kid loose on them" project), and my initial reaction was "I don't want my daughter reading that book as an elementary-schooler," and my next reaction was "And I don't really want her classmates reading it, either."

I'm interested to hear your take on it.