Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Best and Worst of 2005

I'm about half way through Unredeemed Captive by John Demos. This is a book I was supposed to read for the worst class I ever took in college. The class was so horrible (teacher's fault, not the subject, which was New World History) that I sold all the books we had to use, except for Sugar and Slaves: the Rise of the Planter Class in the English West Indies 1624-1713 by Richard S. Dunn. Not that I particularly enjoyed the book (I don't think I finished reading it, to tell the truth) but because, for some reason, they wouldn't buy it back from me.

I always regretted selling Unredeemed Captive as well as Captain Kidd and the War against the Pirates by Robert C. Ritchie. As both were good and I never finished reading them. Time to remedy such mistakes.

To keep you entertained until I finish such things, here's a back log of stuff:

OK, In 2005, I read 84 books. Ratings are now coming! Yay!

The best book:

I'm going to have to just give it up and go with Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling, because dude.

Not counting Potter, I'd go with Andrea Levy's Small Isalnd. I also really enjoyed Saving Fish from Drowning(The best thing Amy Tan's ever written, IMHO) and The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Worst Book:

Hands down, Rosemarie Santini's Sex & Sensibility: The Adventures of a Jane Austen Addict--A Novel which tried to be a high minded, Bridget Jones's Diary type thing and just failed failed failed and wasn't enjoyable on any level. Close second would be What You Owe Me. Ugh. Don't get me started.

Another Crap-tastic book from last year would be: Anna May Wong: From Laundryman's Daughter to Hollywood Legend by Graham Russell Gao Hodges. Poorly researched. Poorly written. Poorly edited. I wanted to reread it with my red-pen in hand and then mail it back to him. Gargh.

Most fun discovery of last year was Lauren Child. Check out her Charlie and Lola picture books. Check out Clarice Bean. Just check her out. LOVE.

No comments: