Wednesday, April 13, 2005

The wheels on the bus

I had to take the bus to work today. I miss taking the bus if only because it gave me 20-40 minutes each day to read...

I started Anna May Wong... today. Some comments on Amazon and my initial reaction to the introduction leave me wary that this won't be the most unbiased opinion of her life and work.

I mean, Hodges first found out about her because he saw a signed photo in a shop and bought it, even though it was really expensive. The way the intro reads, he became infatuated with this photo (almost Peony Pavillion-esque, really) and so got a book deal so he could research her... it seems almost... unhealthy. I am also very wary of historians writing outside their subject field (his is African American history).

But, all that said, I've only read the intro. We'll see how the rest of the book goes. Even if it is only a love letter to an unknown actress, it could still be a good read. I'll just have to get and read a poison pen letter too!

No comments: