Friday, July 04, 2008

Poetry Friday

Happy 4th of July every one!

Today's poem is actually a song,

This is my song, O God of all the nations,
A song of peace for lands afar and mine.
This is my home, the country where my heart is;
Here are my hopes, my dreams, my holy shrine,
But other hearts in other lands are beating
With hopes and dreams as true and high as mine.

My country's skies are bluer than the ocean
And sunlight beams on clover leaf and pine,
But other lands have sunlight too, and clover,
And skies are everywhere as blue as mine.
This is my song, O God of every nation,
A song of peace for their land and for mine.

words by L. Stone, music to the tune of Finlandia by J. Sibelius. You can listen to it here. (That link will make the song start right away. It's a weird arrangement that in the end works in "My Country 'Tis of Thee" which I find really funny as a patriotic song given that the melody is "God Save the Queen" or I guess, at the time it was written, "God Save the King".)

Sibelius is one of my favorite composers.

Anyway, round up is over at In Search of Giants! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Becky said...

How wonderful! Thanks for sharing :)