Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Countdown to Vacation

I'm going on vacation on Friday. To China. I can't wait. My productivity has plummeted. And there won't be any updating next week, because China blocks Blogger. Plus, that whole vacation thing.

Also, school started this week.

First things first (except this isn't first. Ah Well.) The Biblio File store has been updated with my top picks/current favorites for September, so check it out.

Um... next things next? Some book reviews, because that's what we do here.

Anyway, I finally got around to reading The Spiderwick Chronicles by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black.

5 books make up one overarching story-arc. But really, each book is like a mini-episode. There's not much in ways of subplot or character development. Overall, they're fun. They're short enough that even thought I really wasn't drawn in at all to the story, I still wanted to finish them all.


The Field Guide

The Grace parents have just gotten divorced and the former Mrs. Grace moves her 3 kids (Jared, his twin brother Simon, and their older sister Mallory) into crazy Great-Aunt Lucinda's falling down wreck of a house. Jared discovers a secret library, a book about fairies, and the fact that faeries and their ilk are real. In the process, he gets in a lot of trouble with his mother, who likes to think the worst of him.

The Seeing Stone

In which Simon is kidnapped by goblins. Mallory and Jared explore the woods behind the house and find out what being killed and eaten by a bear is really about. An enemy is made. As is a friend (or two). And now they can see goblins and things.


Lucinda's Secret

In which they visit some elves, find out the truth about Uncle Arthur, and decide that maybe it's time to pay Aunt Lucinda a visit. Because maybe she isn't crazy after all.


The Ironwood Tree

In which Jared gets expelled, we meet some dwarves, there is a bloody massacre, and Mallory is forced to do her very best impression of Snow White. Also, some of the most daring escapes to date.


The Wrath of Mulgarath

In which there are dragons. And the end.

4 comments:

Kate said...

Just found your blog today, and am happy to have done so. Was cruising Amazon.com for lists of recently banned and challenged books, and was grateful to find your lists, which are wonderfully complete.

Thank you!

Jennie said...

Dorid! I'm so glad you enjoy the lists! I'm all about reading whatever they tell me not to.

Thanks for visiting!

Dana Watson said...

Not that I think you should be updating while on vacation, but you can set Blogger up to allow you to update from your email account, which is what I did before I went to China. Also, I found I could log in to Blogger and update from the back end, but just not see my blog to make sure it had updated afterward.

But like I said, you shouldn't be blogging over there! You should be having too much fun to have time to do it. And take notes, so we can hear about it later.

Jennie said...

Dana--

That is good to know about Blogger. Not that I went anywhere near a computer while I was away, which is exactly how I wanted it. :)