Friday, October 01, 2010

Poetry Friday

It's Banned Books week, so I thought I'd share a poem that is frequently banned, Allen Ginsberg's Howl.

I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,

dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,

angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night

Read the rest here.

Here's a video with Ginsburg reading his own work:



Leave a comment on this post, and I'll update the roundup throughout the day. Thanks for celebrating poetry with us!

The 9 AM Roundup:


Ruth from There is no such thing as a God-forsaken town shares a poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay


Andromedra from a wrung sponge shares a terza rima by Jacqueline Osherow


Sara from Read Write Believe shares an original poem and wonders why more poetry isn't banned.


Diane at Random Noodling shares an original Illustrated Poehistry


The Write Sisters are celebrating Blog for your Breasts Day by sharing a poem by Alicia Suskin Ostriker

Heidi shares some David Bowie lyrics to illustrate her rock-and-roll teaching style.


Sally from A Castle in the Sky shares a poem by Tomas Transtromer, the bookies favorite for winning the Nobel


The Stenhouse Blog has an original poem by Shirley McPhillips


Ben from The Small Nouns shares a poem by Jane Kenyon and how he uses it to teach repitition

The Noon Update:

Charles has two blogs, and two poems at Bald Ego he shares an original written for his son. 


And at Father Goose he shares an original tardy excuse for teachers.


Elaine at Wild Rose Reader shares an original about cotton candy.


The Blue Rose Girls have a video of Shel Silverstein performing one of his poems.


Barbara from Boreal Owl has 3 of her poems in Danse Macabre that she's linked to!


Janet from All About the Books with Janet Squires tells us about a book of Halloween-themed nonsense poetry.

The 10 pm Round Up (with the morning people I missed due to a spam filter issue. **blushes and hides behind her hands**)


Franki from A Year of Reading shares two reviews of poetry books for kids.

Priya from Book Crumbs shares an original poem about autumn.


Anastasia from Picture Book of the Day shares When Lulu Went to the Zoo.


David from Fomagrams shares an original about a jazz musician.


Linda from Write Time shares a book about a dog's eye view of a White House Christmas.


Tabatha from The Opposite of Indifference tells us about the Poetry City Marathon Anthology that we're all invited to submit work to!


Laura from Writing the World for Kids shares an original found poem.


Laura also has the 15 Words or Less poetry!


Author Amok has an interview with Mary Amato about her new book with lots of poetry extras.


Shelley shares a series of poems telling a story about the dust bowl.

Late Night Additions:

Amy from The Poem Farm shares a poem by the late Donald Graves. 

I hope I got everyone! If I didn't or if there are late entries, I'll add them tomorrow!

28 comments:

david elzey said...

when i was in high school i had a friend tell me she thought my writing reminded her of allen ginsberg. and in totally ignorant teen boy fashion i not only pretended to know ginsberg's work but also feigned insult at the comparison. then i went out and read howl.

let's just say i've long since learned how to take a compliment, even an undeserved one.

i've got an original poem this week, "fortissimo," and some crazy idea about starting a new movement.

http://fomagrams.wordpress.com/2010/10/01/poetry-friday-fortissimo-an-odd-idea/

thanks for hosting, jennie!

Linda said...

Good morning- thanks for hosting. I'm in today with a review of J Patrick Lewis' new book over at Write Time. http://lindakulp.blogspot.com/

Tabatha said...

Hi Jennie!

Thanks for hosting! I've got information about what Dr. Alphabet (Dave Morice) is up to -- he's been doing a poetry marathon, and he's inviting submissions.

http://www.tabathayeatts.blogspot.com/

Ruth said...

I have a short poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay today. Here. Thanks for hosting!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I have to confess I never really liked that Ginsberg piece. Too loud or too long, not sure which. I was in love with haiku then as now). Or I had it thrown at me when I couldn't understand it? Maybe I should go back and take it again, slower.

I have a terza rima by Jacqueline Osherow called Autumn Psalm up today. Thanks for doing the round up!

Franki said...

Hi--Thanks for hosting! We have two poetry book reviews today at A Year of Reading.
Franki

Sara said...

I'm celebrating Banned Books Week, too, and wondering why *more* poetry isn't banned.

laurasalas said...

Thanks for hosting, Jennie--I've gotta say I'm not a fan of beat poetry in general, though I do love some of the startling imagery. I love concise, precise poems, mostly.

Anyhow, I'm in with another found poem by me this week ("I'm Sort of Sorry About What Happened While I Was Walking My Dog") at http://laurasalas.livejournal.com/239698.html

And this week's 15 Words or Less poems are at http://laurasalas.livejournal.com/239524.html

Thanks!

Author Amok said...

Great choice for today, Jennie! I have an interview with MG author Mary Amato. Her new book, Edgar Allan's Official Crime Investigation Notebook, is a mystery embedded with poetry. (Bonus -- a link to one of EA Poe's cryptogram poems.)

http://authoramok.blogspot.com/2010/09/poetry-friday-5-questions-for-mary.html

Diane Mayr said...

This week I have more "illustrated poehistry" with an original poem, "The Seamstress," at Random Noodling

Kurious Kitty shares a poem from A Whiff of Pine, A Hink of Skunk.

Kurious K's Kwotes P.F. quote is by Christopher Fry.

Sally said...

The Write Sisters' Poetry Friday this week supports Blog for your Breasts day at The Write Sisters.

Shelley said...

"Dirty Thirties" poems at:
http://dustbowlpoetry.wordpress.com


And hi to Noodling, Kitty, and Laura--visit them too!

Heidi Mordhorst said...

Thanks for howling I mean hosting, Jen. I'm reflecting on tumult at school with some David Bowie lyrics.

Sally Thomas said...

Thanks for hosting! I've got the bookies' odds for the Nobel Prize for Literature, with Swedish poet Tomas Transtromer leading the field.

Stenhouse said...

This week on The Stenhouse Blog we have an original poem by Shirley McPhillips. Enjoy!

Ben Curran said...

Jennie, I just posted about the movie Howl last week! Hopefully people will check out that post in addition to this one: http://thesmallnouns.blogspot.com/2010/10/poetry-moves-i-love-to-teach-repetition.html

Thanks for hosting!

--ben

Charles Ghigna said...

Thanks, Jennie. I'm howling in with a poem for my son at Bald Ego and a poem for teachers at Father Goose

Karen Edmisten said...

Thanks for hosting -- I actually didn't have time to get a poetry post done for today, but linked to the round up. Have a great Poetry Friday!

Elaine Magliaro said...

Thanks for doing the roundup this week!

At Wild Rose Reader, I have an original poem titled "Cotton Candy."

http://wildrosereader.blogspot.com/2010/10/cotton-candy-original-poem.html

Elaine Magliaro said...

At Blue Rose Girls, I have a video of "The Crocodile's Toothache"--performed by its author Shel Silverstein.

http://bluerosegirls.blogspot.com/2010/10/crocodiles-toothache-by-shel.html

Anonymous said...

Howl is one of my favourite poems. Thanks for hosting today.

Three of my surreal poems are in the latest issue of Danse Macabre. I've posted a link to it on my LiveJournal.

http://boreal-owl.livejournal.com/109500.html

-- Barbara Etlin
boreal_owl

Janet Squires said...

Thanks for hosting.
My selection is Hallowilloween: nefarious silliness -- written and illustrated by Calef Brown.

Mary Lee said...

Here is Franki's link (she is the "guest" blogger today at A Year of Reading because I had my gallbladder out this morning!):

http://readingyear.blogspot.com/2010/09/poetry-friday-from-franki.html

Priya said...

Thanks for doing the roundup today! I'm in with an original poem titled "Autumn".

http://priyaganesan.blogspot.com/2010/10/autumn.html

Tabatha said...

Hi Jennie!
It looks like a few of us were left out of your 9 a.m. round-up (Dave, me, Linda).
Have a great weekend,
Tabatha

Anastasia Suen said...

Thanks for hosting! I'm in with When Lulu Went to the Zoo by Andy Ellishttp://picturebookday.wordpress.com/2010/10/01/poetry-friday-when-lulu-went-to-the-zoo/

Author Amok said...

Hi, Jennie. Read Tabatha's comment ... I was wondering the same thing. I'm missing from the round up too.

Amy L V said...

Thank you for hosting. What a roundup! And how perfect to include a banned poem. I'm just making it under the wire for Poetry Friday with a link to my tribute to Donald Graves, who died this week.


http://poemfarm.blogspot.com/2010/10/you-my-poem-writing-year-185.