Friday, April 03, 2009

Cherry Blossoms are poetic!

It's cherry blossom time in DC! So, here is a poem about cherry blossoms. I took this picture during a rare bit of sun today, these trees are at the end of the block and I love the way the look reflected in the office building.



LOVELIEST OF TREES
By A.E. Housman

Loveliest of trees, the cherry now
Is hung with bloom along the bough,
And stands about the woodland ride,
Wearing white for Eastertide.

Now, of my threescore years and ten,
Twenty will not come again,
And take from seventy springs a score,
It only leaves me fifty more.

And since to look at things in bloom
Fifty springs are little room,
About the woodlands I will go
To see the cherry hung with snow.


Ayuddha.net has the round up!

3 comments:

Linda Ashman said...

Hi, Jennie--

I found you while skimming today's poetry roundup. I so love this poem, particularly this time of year. I just shared it with my husband and son as part of our Vernal Equinox celebration. Thanks for posting it!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I am so glad you posted this today! This is one of my very favorite spring poems. My cherry tree is in bloom now too and I am going to make sure I take the time to sit and enjoy it. There are just not enough springs to take it all in!

Anonymous said...

Your poem choice is lovely! I can't wait to be there to see the cherry blossoms myself...well I'll see them next year I suppose!