Monday, August 13, 2007

Weeding=Bad


I've come to the very sad realization that I will have to weed my personal library. The books are eating the house.

But, does anyone else remember the Drina Books?

Drina is directly responsible for my loathing of weeding my personal library. When we did the great book collection integration after we got married and moved to Michigan, I got rid of a lot of books from my childhood. My thinking was along the lines of (1)I can get it from the library on the off chance I actually want to read this again (2) When I have kids, I'll buy them new, shiny copies.

Who knew that 2 years down the road I'd be flung into the carnival that is Children's Librarianship. And my library has most of the books I threw out.

It does NOT have Drina. Drina, who is the star of the BEST series of ballet books ever. Drina, who is long out of print. Drina, who sells for obscene amounts of money on Ebay, Drina, who is barely even available on my Maryland-wide ILL network. Drina, whom I'm ILLing through SCHOOL.

Well, I'm ILLing the last 6 books of the series that I didn't even know existed when I was a child. I found the first 5 rather cheaply so I bought them. Weeding be damned. I will buy the next 6 too, when (1) I have more $$$ or (2) I can find them for under $20-$50 a copy.

For most of my childhood (and a large portion of my non-childhood) I wanted to name my firstborn daughter Andriana after her and she's so out of print. :( But, the recently republished Ballet Shoes so maybe Drina will come soon? Hopefully?

5 comments:

Sara said...

Jennie, Have you met Laurel over at Kid*Lit(erary)? She just posted about Ballet Shoes! http://kidliterary.blogspot.com/2007/08/orphans-and-england.html

Jennie said...

Oooo... I haven't actually read Ballet Shoes yet, but it's on the list. It's part of the "Read the Books you Own, Doofus" challenge, as it's one of the great mass of owned-but-unread...

Anonymous said...

I actually named my daughter Drina after the heroine! I have the whole series in english including the alternate US and British title names,and I recently discovered they are published in German where Drina is called Cindy and although I read very little German I had to have those too! I was lucky enough to find the last 5 Drina books that I did not at the time know existed on a throw out table at a book store for $2 each.

Jennie said...

Oooo... How do you pronounce Drina? I always said it Dry-na (The the River) but my husband thinks it's Dree-na.

My prononciation is based on my feelings at age 8, so not the most educated, but I'm not going to change it now! :)

Anonymous said...

Must be Dree-na - otherwise the last book would be called Dry-na Baller-eye-na :-)