Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Super Awesome Super Spies!

These guys are awesome. Secret codes! Daring missions! Dazzling escapes! And awesome spy gear!

These are awesome adventure stories. And they're 100% true.

Thomas B. Allen makes James Bond look lame next to these guys.

Who are these awesome super spies? George Washington and Harriet Tubman. Seriously. Allen manages to take some aspects of the Revolutionary and Civil Wars that kids normally don't get to hear about. These guys are not boring. These guys are cool.


And the books (George Washington, Spymaster: How the Americans Outspied the British and Won the Revolutionary War and Harriet Tubman, Secret Agent: How Daring Slaves and Free Blacks Spied for the Union During the Civil War) are even cooler--not only are there secret messages in the gutters for you to decode, there are appendixes, end notes, bibliographies and further reading.

End notes! With in-text numbers to reference them. End notes! In a juvie nonfiction book. Be still my fluttering, dorky heart.


Also, the font? It looks all old-time-y letter pressed but is still easy to read. Great illustrations and fun covers. Washington has this cocky smirk-- very hot a la Stephen Colbert. And Harriet Tubman's there, looking like she's leaning on a broom. Oh wait, no, that's a rifle. Don't mess with her.

I mean, I always knew these guys did cool things. There's a reason we still talk about them. I didn't quite appreciate how much they kicked ass.

I highly recommend for everyone.

2 comments:

Lotus Reads said...

Wow, these books really do sound cool...my 7th-grader is going to love them because she is a huge history buff! I wonder what other books they have in the series?

Thank you very much for bringing them to our attention, Jennie!

Jennie said...

As far as I am aware, these are the only books in the series so far. Harriet Tubman, Secret Agent is relatively new though (my library just got it in June) so I'm hoping there will be more!

I highly recommend these books. Anything to make George Washington look less stoic. We so often forget that before he was the "Father of the Country" (well, my country, anyway) he was a rebel leader.

Thanks for visiting!