Friday, September 26, 2008

Poetry Friday

DCist has a fascinating post about the relationship between martinis and vermouth. If you ever enjoy the most classic of cocktails, I highly recommend the read.

And, so, for Poetry Friday, I have a poem about martinis... I'll even invent the kidlit connection in that they drink a lot of martinis in the book I'm currently reading.


A Drink With Something In It

There is something about a Martini,
A tingle remarkably pleasant;
A yellow, a mellow Martini;
I wish I had one at present.
There is something about a Martini,
Ere the dining and dancing begin,
And to tell you the truth,
It is not the vermouth--
I think that perhaps it's the gin.

Ogden Nash

I hope everyone has a fabulous time at the kidlit conference happening this weekend. In my own backyard, the National Literary Festival is going on, which should be awesome. I had a great time last year and am bummed to miss this one, but I'm off to Raleigh in the morning to see some friends of mine get married. Very exciting. Now, I just have to figure out which books to bring for car reading. Hmmmmmm.

But, before then! Tonight's the Presidential Debate! I'm watching with some think tank people whom I suspect have different politics than mine, which will certainly be fun. We'll have to try the classic martini recipe posted in the article above!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

As soon as I read the first line, I knew it was Ogden Nash.

Cheers