Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Extremism from a different point of view

I have my fingers stuck in my ears and am singing LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA rather loudly. My work email is full of unread messages.

You see, for class today, I had to read a "genre" book. I was feeling like a bad YA lit person for not having read Twilight. So, that's what I read. And then I ran out and bought all the rest of the books, and now I have to shield myself from all the Breaking Dawn discussion until I finish it. However, I *do* have some fun things planned for the reviews, once I finish reading...

Anyway, here's a review of a different book I read for class...

In The Name of God Paula Jolin

As a teenager in Damascus, Nadia tries to be a good Muslim, and studies hard so she can become a doctor. She is frustrated by her cousins who have Western ideas and do not yet wear the hajib. She is concerned for her fellow Muslims caught in war-torn Iraq or Israel. She is saddened by her brother’s inability to find a job. When her favorite cousin is arrested for expressing anger over the oppression of Muslims, Nadia grows even more conservative, to the worry of her family. Eventually, she is drawn into fanatical fundamentalism, seeing no other option but to serve God through the ultimate sacrifice.

Short chapters start with Qur’anic names for God and paint an uncomfortably realistic portrait of how one devout girl can go from general anger at world politics to thinking that becoming a suicide bomber is a good choice. Jolin sets up the cultural and political landscape of Damascus, letting readers see Palestinian refugee settlements, the fear of the Secret Police, and many conversations on US foreign policy. (The fear of the secret police that leads to so much self censorship in the name of combating terrorism was especially striking.) Characters are viewed through Nadia’s eyes, trapping them in her pre-conceived notions, although based on their words and actions readers will have a different opinion. While readers may struggle with such a different world-view, they will recognize the standard tensions between mothers and daughters, sisters and brothers. Adults will recognize the hubris of teenagers in Nadia’s stubborn convictions that she knows better than everyone surrounding her.

3 comments:

Susan said...

*gasp* just now reading Twilight?! I'm reading Breaking Dawn, also closing my ears to the chatter of my library teens. I had to forbid talk of it at my program this week...told them to wait until our Breaking Dawn discussion next week.

Jennie said...

I thought you didn't love me anymore. And I'm reading Breaking Dawn RIGHT NOW. That was the fun about starting late-- I didn't have to wait and could read the whole series at once.

Susan said...

aww, i still love you! i've just been a lapsed blogger/facebooker, etc of late. you'll probably finish BD before me...you speed reader you. It is all fresh in your mind...as I read I think 'and who is this character again?'

My local paper did a bit on the Breaking Dawn hoopla and the reporter talked to me and one of my teens...woohoo
http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2008/082008/08012008/399297