Friday, August 22, 2008

Back to School.

Wahoo! Schools out for a week and I have SO MANY books to review! SO MANY! Because all this time when I haven't been blogging? Yeah... I've been READING.

And dealing with 2 ear infections. And pink eye. The pink eye's all gone now but the ear infections remain... blargh.

School starts for the kids at work on Monday. And even though I just finished class and am experiencing a wee bit of vacation, I still have that back to school excitement. I'm looking forward to fall and sweaters. I love school supply shopping, even though I don't have to do it right now, I still find myself wandering the aisles of staples and smelling the erasers. I love the smell of a freshly sharpened pencil. I love the feel of a clean notebook, the roll of a good pen. The earnest eagerness of reinventing yourself every fall...


So, even though it's still summer, school is starting, which means it will soon be fall, so here's a fall poem by Emily Dickinson, always a favorite:

THE MORNS are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry’s cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.

The maple wears a gayer scarf, 5
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I ’ll put a trinket on.

Round up is at Read. Imagine. Talk.!

4 comments:

Karen Edmisten said...

I read this one to my kids every autumn. :-)

Karen Edmisten said...

We play FreeRice, too, but where'd you get the great button?

Jennie said...

I'm glad you like the poem! The Free Rice button is actually from their site--they have a few options. If you scroll down on any of their pages, across the bottom they have about us-faq-contact etc. One the options is banners, which is where they are.

Hope that helps!

Unknown said...

Terrific poem. We also play Freerice in my 7th grade.