Friday, May 23, 2008

Reading for a Good Cause

The Hidden Side of the Leaf has announced the 24-Hour Read-a-Thon and needs help either as a reader (read as much as you can for 24 hours starting at 9:59 PST on June 28th, which is 1:59 11:59* in my world) cheerleaders (people who regularly read readers blogs to leave helpful comments and other things) and prize donors (people to donate prizes).

So, head on over and sign up to play along! It looks like lots of fun.

The challenge is going to benefit Reading is Fundamental, a great organization that gives books to low-income children. In order for RiF to benefit, some of the readers are asking for sponsorship.

This is where you come in, because I would like some sponsors. You can promise me a lump sum (as in, if you do this, I'll give you $20) or you can pledge to give based on how I do, so you'll give me $1 for every hour I read (probably 15-20-- I have to work on the 28th) or for every book I read, or for every page I read... if you want to wait until after the 48 Hour Challenge to see how much I read because you commit, go on ahead. After the challenge, you can donate directly on the RiF's webpage or send the money to me and I'll donate it for you.

I will, myself, will donate 3 cents for every hour I read, for every book I read, and for every page I read. (Based on last year's 48 hour showing, that's going to be $50-$75) I've also donated 10 Bookmooch points to be used a prizes for readers.

Anyway, if you're willing to sponsor me (and every little bit helps! There is no amount too small) please leave a comment below or email me at kidsilkhaze at yahoo dot com.

Thank you so much.

*Edited to reflect the fact I don't know how many time zones are in the US. D'oh

No comments: