Friday, April 11, 2008

Stuck in traffic makes me write poetry


So, the worst part of my commute is the 14th Street Bridge. I can spend 30 minutes on that thing, or leading up to it. (If you don't live in DC, "that bit leading up to it"= The Pentagon) When my commute is traffic free, like when I go to work on Saturday mornings, it takes a total 15 minutes. Not the bridge, the WHOLE commute, of which the bridge is a measly few blocks out of 10 miles.

Today was not that bad but I was stuck on the bridge for awhile. It's sunny and warm here, and the bridge leads up to the Jefferson Memorial, so I wrote this haiku in my car.

Cherry blossom rain
Makes way for unfurling leaves
The river sparkles

A Wrung Sponge has the roundup!

5 comments:

Andromeda Jazmon said...

Love it!

Every day when I see our cherry blossoms and try to write a haiku for them I am thinking about DC and Japan. I am wondering if haiku poets under other cherry trees are writing haiku at the same time. And wondering what the falling petals make them think of...

I didn't imagine a poet stuck in traffic. Perfectly lovely haiku!

jama said...

Just saw the D.C. blossoms two weeks ago. Your haiku is perfect!

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Cherry blossoms in a while...thanks for the mind picture!!
oh and by the way...I am new to the Friday Poetry...how do you find out who has the round up...I found it on Two Writing Teachers blog by accident today...but I didn't link back last week....thanks

Jennie said...

I'm glad y'all like the poem! Haiku is one of my favorite forms.

cloudscome-- writing poetry in while stuck in traffic is better than shouting at the idiots in front of me, which is what I also do. :)

jama-- I do love the cherry blossoms in DC. It's one of my favorite times of year, even if the appearance of the blossoms also means the appearance of allergies.

Marie-- "Big A little a" has the list of who's hosting the roundup. Welcome to Poetry Friday!

J Scott Savage said...

That was great. Made me smile at both the haiku and the commute. And here all I've been doing is listening to oldies rock stations or books on tape. Does writing poetry in the car count as distracted driving?