Friday, December 17, 2010

Poetry Friday: Snow

Just a little snow, not too much. Just enough to make area schools shut early and open late, which isn't that much in a town that isn't quite sure what to do when the white stuff starts falling.

And I stood in the deserted library yesterday, looking out the window, past the parking lot and into the wooded lot beyond, looking like a Christmas card. Not only was I selfishly hoarding the best view, but also the warm spot near the heating vent.

And now, a poem.

Snow Day by Billy Collins

Today we woke up to a revolution of snow,
its white flag waving over everything,
the landscape vanished,
not a single mouse to punctuate the blankness,
and beyond these windows

the government buildings smothered,
schools and libraries buried, the post office lost
under the noiseless drift,
the paths of trains softly blocked,
the world fallen under this falling.

Read the rest here.


Roundup is over at The Poem Farm. Be sure to stop by and see the drifts of poems we're sharing today!

5 comments:

Tara said...

Billy Collins was on "A Prairie Home Companion" and read this just recently - he had the audience (and me) in gales of laughter - great poem!

Amy L V said...

"the world fallen under this falling"
I feel this way too...here south of Buffalo, NY, I love listening to the names of all of the closing schools, love hearing which shifts are closed, love watching the flakes pile up in the gathering morning. I'll be reading this more this season - thank you for introducing it to me! A.

Doraine said...

Love Billy Collins. Thanks for posting this.

Carlie said...

What a top class poem. I knew I liked Billy Collins, but I didn't know this one. The ending is great. So great.

Tara, I would have loved to hear him on Prairie Home....what fun!

nico said...

Love this, the perfect thing for the snow-ish day.