Friday, January 18, 2008

Poetry Friday!

Before the festivities begin, I'm over at Geek Buffet, following up on how YA is an age-range, not a genre. The comments on my original post sparked a conversation about how to get non-teens to read teen lit. Inspired by this year's Caldecott winner also being named a Best Book for Teens, I'm proposing a whole new award for teen lit. Check it out here. I'd love your comments.

And, now, a poem, because it's Friday. Yesterday it snowed. It's warm today, but is supposed to snow again tomorrow. So, here's a snow poem!

Snow flakes.

I counted till they danced so
Their slippers leaped the town,
And then I took a pencil
To note the rebels down.
And then they grew so jolly
I did resign the prig,
And ten of my once stately toes
Are marshalled for a jig!

--Emily Dickinson

I love the imagine of austere, often depressing, recluse Dickinson dancing in joy of snow.

Farm School has this week's roundup!

And here's a lovely picture of what happens when it snows in DC (photo from Roxandabear):

4 comments:

Erin said...

I like that Dickinson poem, it's lovely!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Emily Dickenson poem. Now I have "The Yellow Rose of Texas" running through my head.

Jennie said...

Well, at least this one kinda goes with "Yellow Rose of Texas" it's always weird to sing "Because I could not stop for death, he kindly stopped for me!" To such a cheery tune.

And, thank YOU, because now I have it running through my head!

jama said...

Thanks for the sweet poem, and the panda photo! I often watch the panda cam on the National Zoo website.