Sunday, February 25, 2007

In Case My Recommendations Aren't Enough

Now Reading: Madame Chiang Kai-shek: China's Eternal First Lady
Just Finished: Clay, Thumb on a Diamond


Well, in case you need some good recommendations on what to read, may I suggest two most excellent books by Nancy Pearl (aka the Librarian Action Figure )?
Book Lust: Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment, and Reason and More Book Lust are filled with annotated book lists of books to read and enjoy. Most of my favorites were there and some were missing, but the Ms. Pearl, the rockstar librarian, encourages the rest of us write in with our additions. (Also, check out her book wiki.)


So, these books offer lists with such topics as "Africa: Yesterday and Today" and "Quirky Science" she introduces the topic and writes a sentence or two about the books she lists, giving just enough to make you want to read them.

Read these books with paper and pencil, because your "To Read" list will expand exponentially-- I think I added 9 pages to mine with these books! Despite my innate fear of writing in books, I'm taking a pencil to mine, putting little check marks by the books I've read.

I can't wait for the April release of Book Crush: For Kids and Teens-Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest.

PS- Can you believe that no one has yet given me a librarian action figure with automatic shushing action?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting...I think I'm going to have to see if my library has these.