Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Get off the Bus!

Well, I voted this morning in my local elementary school. Then, I went to school (University of Maryland) and in swinging by the student union to pick up lunch on my way to class, visited another polling station. After class, it was on to work, which is, of course, another polling station!

As I wait for the results to come in and as I wait for the election party I'm attending to start, I thought I'd review some books, hopefully to keep my mind off things. I love election night. Even when I'm burned out on the election, even when I couldn't vote yet, I love watching the results come in, especially the other races that are going on during big years like this one. Will Senator Stephens be reelected? Who knows?! But the energy of election night infects me. Heck, I even like watching British election night coverage! (Of course, there have some much more fun political parties, like the Standing at the Back Dressed Stupidly and Looking Stupid Party.)

Anyway, until then, let us review some books. A shocking proposition for a book blog, I know, but there it is.

Man, I am punchy tonight. I apologize.


Piper Reed: Navy Brat Kimberly Willis Holt

Piper Reed's father, the Chief, has been transferred again, so the family is moving from California to Florida. Piper and her sisters have never moved in the middle of a school year before, and it's not always easy to fit in. Especially when your new house is small with no tree house, you have to share a room with your little sister, and there's only one bathroom.

Still, after a long road trip, Piper has plans to start a whole new Gypsy club (too bad she promised them a real Gypsy!) and make Pensacola the best posting yet!

Piper is an excellent middle child, full of life and optimism. I especially appreciated the way Holt portrays her dyslexia, making it part of her, but not a defining part of her character.

Christine Davenier's black and white drawings are full of motion and great facial expression.


Piper Reed: The Great Gypsy

The Chief has shipped out, but life goes on at home as the girls get along without him and eagerly await his daily email. There's a special trip to New Orleans and new Christmas traditions. Piper thinks it would be an excellent idea if the Gypsy Club held a pet show, because then she could teach Bruna a trick and win and the Chief would be SO PROUD of her!

Piper's adventures continue, and I think I liked this one even more than the first.

1 comment:

Ana S. said...

The Piper Reed books sound good. I don't think I'd heard of them before.

I wanted to let you know that The Perks of Being a Wallflower arrived. Thanks again!