Friday, March 28, 2008

Queen Bees, Wanna-Be and MySpace rip-offs



Poetry Friday:

I UNPLUGGED THE MACHINE
TO SEE WHAT WOULD HAPPEN
IF I STARTED BREATHING
ON MY OWN

ALONE
TO FACE WHAT I OWN
BENEATH SKIN AND BONES
THIS PEN IS MY NEEDLE
BLOOD IS MY INK
I WILL LEAVE MY MARK ON THIS PAGE

THE TATTOO IS WHAT I
CHOOSE TO SHOW YOU

DIG DEEPER IF PAIN
DOESN'T SCARE YOU
GO BEYOND SKIN & BONES

FIND MY HEART--
LOUD, CONNECTED TO YOURS
BREATHING ON YOUR OWN

It's from The Secret Life of It Girls by Dakota Lane

A collection of short stories told in teenage style about real teenage life.

The first is a page on mydamnspace.com with the queen bees commenting on some drama they created and had to pay for. (Well, kinda. Queen bees never really have to pay for the damage they inflict--that only happens in books, but not in this one.)

There's letters to fathers, diaries, a fake Spanish book, and school assignments. Lots and lots of photos and handwriting that makes you feel like you are reading somebody's scrapbook or diary.

Absolutely scary in its realism and absolutely fantastic, both for content and form.

Cuentecitos has the round-up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like it. That sounds like a book I would enjoy. Teenage girls really are a genre unto themselves.

++ said...

THANK YOU for the nicest review the book has ever gotten! I was reading about the FIRST BOKS program and i was wondering if you could put me in touch--there is a tiny bit of bilingual stuff happening in IT GIRLS and i would love to get some books donated to that program. THANKS AGAIN!
p.s. simon is on blogger, with a blogfest with 100 teen authors!

http://pulseblogfest.simonsaysblogs.com/?cat=72

Jennie said...

I'm glad you liked the review! I'm looking forward to reading Gothic Lolita this winter!

According to their FAQ, First Books only accepts book donations through publishers, but here's their website:
http://www.firstbook.org

They have a contact form and a toll free number where you can call them!

Thanks for reading!